Pakamacs and other plastic rainwear.

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
warmac

Re: Pakamacs and other plastic rainwear.

Post by warmac »

Yes, whether I liked it or not, I was also fastened into a plastic mac and it always had to be fully done up to the neck. Such fond memories of being encased in plastic and enjoying the feelings it aroused. Nylon never had the same attraction of the soft warm plastic mac. Like others, I enjoyed the slight humiliation of wearing a plastic mackintosh when my contemporaries graduated to brightly coloured cagoules. Even if there was only a slight chance of rain, I would wear my plastic mackintosh and it was even better if I was able to wear wellington boots.
Rives

Post by Rives »

warmac wrote: July 14th, 2020, 10:23 am Yes, whether I liked it or not, I was also fastened into a plastic mac and it always had to be fully done up to the neck. Such fond memories of being encased in plastic and enjoying the feelings it aroused. Nylon never had the same attraction of the soft warm plastic mac. Like others, I enjoyed the slight humiliation of wearing a plastic mackintosh when my contemporaries graduated to brightly coloured cagoules. Even if there was only a slight chance of rain, I would wear my plastic mackintosh and it was even better if I was able to wear wellington boots.
Same here..... the mackintosh was fastened up for me if I didnt do it myself and this carried on well into my teens. A gaberdine mackintosh with a pakamac over it. Both buttoned to the neck. And no questions asked!!
Tim Raincoat

Post by Tim Raincoat »

Why do I feel I so missed out during my teens, I would of given my right arm to be clad in a pakamac and sent out ?
Rives

Post by Rives »

Tim Raincoat wrote: July 16th, 2020, 10:39 pm Why do I feel I so missed out during my teens, I would of given my right arm to be clad in a pakamac and sent out ?
This was at a time when many of my peers were permitted to wear bomber jackets and anoraks, and there was i kitted out in my buttoned up full length pakamac. As I've recounted previously, the shopping trips for replacement mackintoshes were excruciatingly embarrassing. - I'm not entirely sure you'd have swapped places with me at the time!
warmac

Post by warmac »

Rives wrote: July 17th, 2020, 6:02 am
Tim Raincoat wrote: July 16th, 2020, 10:39 pm Why do I feel I so missed out during my teens, I would of given my right arm to be clad in a pakamac and sent out ?
This was at a time when many of my peers were permitted to wear bomber jackets and anoraks, and there was i kitted out in my buttoned up full length pakamac. As I've recounted previously, the shopping trips for replacement mackintoshes were excruciatingly embarrassing. - I'm not entirely sure you'd have swapped places with me at the time!
Woolworths of C&A to get a new plastic mackintosh, I was probably about 16 when these regular trips stopped. A plastic mackintosh was often put over my "good coat" if it was raining, and yes, it had to be fully done up. I remember the embarrassment if I encountered any of my friends or people from my school. However, it wasn't long before the pleasure and excitement outweighed the shame and I even started to enjoy the humiliation from inside the protection of my mackintosh.
mackintoshed

Post by mackintoshed »

It's fantastic knowing that others have experiences, re mackintoshes, that mirror mine.
Rives

Post by Rives »

warmac wrote: July 17th, 2020, 7:00 am
Rives wrote: July 17th, 2020, 6:02 am
Woolworths of C&A to get a new plastic mackintosh, I was probably about 16 when these regular trips stopped. A plastic mackintosh was often put over my "good coat" if it was raining, and yes, it had to be fully done up. I remember the embarrassment if I encountered any of my friends or people from my school. However, it wasn't long before the pleasure and excitement outweighed the shame and I even started to enjoy the humiliation from inside the protection of my mackintosh.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes the dreaded trip to the shops was a key moment every 12 months or so. The frequency would depend on growth rates, the condition of the macs, and finances of course. But the moment my mother would say "we need to take a trip to the shops on Saturday to get you a new mackintosh/ pakamac" I could do nothing other than hope she would change her mind or forget. Of course she'd do neither of the sort.

Come the day and I try my best to dissuade her...."why cant I just get an anorak"..."why cant I wear what I want"... neither of which was remotely likely. I'd be marched to Wildings outfitters, and taken to the raincoat section.... racks and racks of macs, trenchcoats, ganerdine macs and capes. A fussy shop assistant would inevitably cater to my mother's every need, and if I put up any form of resistance, the mac would be buttoned up for me by either the assistant, my mother, or on occasions the Saturday Girl of similar age as myself.

Different colours, sizes and styles would be tried on until my mother was happy , and I'd always exit the shop with a mac that had "room for growth" and face the possibility of being seen by someone from school being marched home by my mother in my new full length pakamac .
warmac

Post by warmac »

mackintoshed wrote: July 17th, 2020, 7:36 am It's fantastic knowing that others have experiences, re mackintoshes, that mirror mine.
For so long I thought I was the only person who had such experiences of being "made" to wear a plastic mackintosh when a teenager. Interesting how our mothers and other female relatives played a key part in this. Also, how mackintoshes always had to be fully fastened up and a bit big in order that we would "grow into it" or the mackintosh could be worn over another coat. I recall getting a delightful imitation leather coat with a fake fur collar from C&A sometime in the early 1970's, this was topped with a plastic mackintosh in order to "keep it from getting ruined by the rain". Even when I had one of those hooded parkas, which became popular in the 1970's, a plastic mackintosh was often worn over it in wet weather.
Wonderful to share such pleasant memories of a bygone age with kindred spirits.
Rives

Post by Rives »

warmac wrote: July 17th, 2020, 3:21 pm
mackintoshed wrote: July 17th, 2020, 7:36 am It's fantastic knowing that others have experiences, re mackintoshes, that mirror mine.
For so long I thought I was the only person who had such experiences of being "made" to wear a plastic mackintosh when a teenager. Interesting how our mothers and other female relatives played a key part in this. Also, how mackintoshes always had to be fully fastened up and a bit big in order that we would "grow into it" or the mackintosh could be worn over another coat. I recall getting a delightful imitation leather coat with a fake fur collar from C&A sometime in the early 1970's, this was topped with a plastic mackintosh in order to "keep it from getting ruined by the rain". Even when I had one of those hooded parkas, which became popular in the 1970's, a plastic mackintosh was often worn over it in wet weather.
Wonderful to share such pleasant memories of a bygone age with kindred spirits.
Loved reading about your experiences also
Carol

Post by Carol »

I wore plastic Pakamacs in my teens. The first time I ever put one on, little did I realise that within seconds, I would be hooked on them for life. I have no idea what it is about them that holds such an allure for me. Instantly, I felt that I would stand out like a sore thumb, they looked a bit hideous, I felt a little humiliated having to wear one but the feeling was so exciting. Numerous plastic macs followed in my teens until my early twenties and I branched out into ladies nylon Pakamacs with their distinctive chunky buttons.

Different makes of both nylon and plastic macs would follow in the coming decades. Genuine Pakamacs slowly disappearing from view. To be honest, I thought in the eighties, the quality of the plastic Pakamac seemed poorer. However in 2018, in my sixties, my interest sparked again when I bought my first men’s Genuine Pakamac from an eBay seller and my love of them immediately reignited. I was amazed that wearing men’s macs would be so enjoyable. I now am the proud owner of numerous men’s genuine Pakamac Plastic macs, one men’s nylon Pakamac, one ladies plastic Pakamac and 3 nylon ones. What an utter thrill it is to return to them.
I’m transgender and devoted to Pakamacs
See my photos at http://plasticmacs.co.uk
See my videos at https://youtube.com/c/MsPakamac