Restoring the shine to a rubber mac - ideas?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
mason

Restoring the shine to a rubber mac - ideas?

Post by mason »

I've got an old but really nice rubber-coated mac with a cotton lining (which I found in a local opp. shop of all places). It is in excellent condition although the rubber is a bit dull now.

Anyway I want to give it the good ol' spit n polish n' all that to restore that shine.

What product would work the best?

Baby oil? ArmourAll? any ideas?

I don't want to damage the rubber, hence my caution.
rubberdee

Re: Restoring the shine to a rubber mac - ideas?

Post by rubberdee »

ArmourAll is good, I polished a Black Diamond jacket up with tha and it was fine. If the rubber is hard then I would try Rubber Revive just to try and bring it back to life and then a good polish with something like Armor All.
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

The best idea I know is to use "Mr Sheen" silicone polish. I do believe that silicone is the best answer.
Johnnyrbr

Post by Johnnyrbr »

I have also used "Mr Sheen" on wellingtons, but it does what it "says on the tin" It's a sheen rather than shine. I have also tried car dashboard polish which gives a little more shine. Polished my green PVC suit with it and it gave a lovely smooth feel to it
Can you tell me where we get ArmourAll and Rubber Revive from as never seen or heard of them.
rubberdee

Post by rubberdee »

Hi Johnnyrbr,

You can get both off Ebay but Armoral is sometimes available at Halfords..
Phee Jameson

Post by Phee Jameson »

Late reply, but you could try some polish specifically intended for latex / rubber clothing. It not only shines it, but conditions it and keeps the material feeling great too.

A few brands to look for are pjur, begloss, or vivishine. They all do some good latex / rubber care products. :)