Rainwear in the US and the UK

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
MissRachel

Rainwear in the US and the UK

Post by MissRachel »

Hello Fellow Rainwear Lovers!

I am a long time collector and wear my outfits in the rain and around the house. My wife complains the house is too cold; she always knows when I am getting ready to "dress up." I have two sets of rainwear and BOOTS. I actually use some short boots I bought at Wal-Mart as house slippers.

Anyway, the question; do people in the UK wear rainwear more then people in the US? Is this because of the weather or other possibilities ?
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
blackmacjay

Re: Rainwear in the US and the UK

Post by blackmacjay »

My only guess is that more people use mackintoshes in the UK than in the US.

Most people around here don't have a clue about "real mackintoshes" but wear much shorter garments. US people seem to have a fetish for wet knees.

Of course, my wife and I don't agree and we dress appropriate for the weather. Needless to say, the 54" of rain we see in North Carolina does help.
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

Here is one of my favorites!

Last edited by MissRachel on December 1st, 2019, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
Susihough

Post by Susihough »

Wow Rachel you are beautiful! Love the short shining black raincoat. Would love to see more photos and hear moe about it, where you bought etc. Hugs in plastic macs . Susi
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

Unless someone truly spends equal amounts of time in the UK and US, and has a fetish for rainwear, we can only speculate as to whether it is more popular in the U.K. Maybe someone needs to fund an independent survey for random people in the street...
Do you own a raincoat? How long is it? What material is it made from? Do you wear it on the street when it is raining? Have you ever worn it when it a nice day just because you wanted to? Sorry Miss, I know these are silly questions right now as I can see you are wearing a full length plastic mac on this sunny day, can get your number? 🇺🇸🇬🇧
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I am from the US and rain boots are very popular among women however the shiny rainwear is almost never seen unless it is PU stutterheim opal (which is rare).
jackstrapped

Post by jackstrapped »

I think it's lifestyle. Here in the US we drive everywhere, and long heavy rubber or vinyl coats, raincoats, trench coats, etc. are unwieldy. In Europe people walk a lot more and these same coats are much more practical.
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

JellyMan wrote: July 29th, 2019, 5:28 am Sorry Miss, I know these are silly questions right now as I can see you are wearing a full length plastic mac on this sunny day, can get your number? 🇺🇸🇬🇧
Wait, which sunny day picture did you see?
Scootaloo1

Post by Scootaloo1 »

MissRachel wrote: June 4th, 2019, 6:25 pm Anyway, the question; do people in the UK wear rainwear more then people in the US? Is this because of the weather or other possibilities ?
Do you mean us rain wear enthusiasts or just people in general?

As far as people in general goes, I'm from the UK and I don't see anybody wearing rain wear these days apart from on very rare occasions. I see waterproof jackets but that's not really the same thing.

I don't think the stuff we're into including cagoules are really popular in the mainstream anymore (at least not in the UK) and it seems quite rare to find them in regular shops and such.
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

Accepting that which you say but ???????????

When it rains all the Brits just get wet and, apparently, seem to like the idea.