Research on history of SBR Company

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
MaidinRubber

Research on history of SBR Company

Post by MaidinRubber »

I have just commenced research into the South Bucks Rainwear Company. My goal is to compile a good solid history of the company and post it on the web. The company was formed in 1959 and truly was on the cutting edge of rubber clothes as most people who are members of this Forum undoubtedly know. I am trying to find and pinpoint some solid background materials - who owned the company? When did they officially close, did they officially close or simply morph into another company/name? Who remembers buying anything from SBR. Any initial thoughts/memories/insights would be much appreciated.
rubberdee

Re: Research on history of SBR Company

Post by rubberdee »

South Bucks was sold to a lady in Devon (I believe) who ran it for quite a few years under that name and with almost exactly the same promotional literature. Actual dates elude me at the moment. Later the stock was taken over by another company in the south-east and has now generally disappeared. I think, I may have some of the original SBR literature but couldn't be sure without checking, as I have had a clear-out a few years ago.
Rives

Post by Rives »

I remember sending away for their brochure when about 18 or 19 in 1980s. The thrill of seeing these lovely mackintoshes being modelled was amazing. Not only were they modelled however, but modelled properly (belts buckled, all buttons fastened) by beautiful mature ladies.

Alas my brochure has long perished
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

The brochures were always printed in black on white paper. I never bought anything from them because I was a kid and a bit scared I'd be found out.

But they always had one model wearing an SBR mackintosh and that was a case for a lot of wanking.
Rives

Post by Rives »

blackmacjay wrote: July 9th, 2020, 4:11 pm The brochures were always printed in black on white paper. I never bought anything from them because I was a kid and a bit scared I'd be found out.

But they always had one model wearing an SBR mackintosh and that was a case for a lot of wanking.
Yes and typed on a typewriter as I recall. Some lovely busty models on there!!
rubnylon2

Post by rubnylon2 »

Yes, I still have some South Bucks brochures somewhere. Goodness they did make some fabulous things and I did buy some too.
MaidinRubber

Post by MaidinRubber »

Thank you for all the comments/memories thus far. Putting together a good history of SBR will be like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. Everybody has one of two pieces of the puzzle and I need to bring them all together. I have been amazed to discover that SBR had ads placed - simple two-line descriptions offering rubber products in the Tattler magazine as early as 1959/1960. The ads in papers such as the Daily/Sunday Mirror, News of the World, Exchange & Mart were always enticing. Simple but fascinating to all of us rubber devotees. I too, remember sending for one of their catalogs and thinking I was the only person as a teenager who could possibly be into this fetish. How wrong I was. Please keep the memories/citations, and any other snippets coming. Together we will build a complete picture.
luvcapes&macks

Post by luvcapes&macks »

most of the photos for their brochures were taken on the village green in Datchet near Windsor . I did hear some years ago that the reason that they closed the business near Slough was that they had a break-in one night and their entire stock of garments and materials were stolen .
The most wonderful , magic , mackintosh I have ever owned was one I bought from them , a fairly ordinary button and belt raincoat , but the material
oh my god the material was out of this world , think of a quality rubber lined mackintosh with a top line rubber lining , black , incredibly smooth and almost " deep " with a smokey look . This mackintosh was exactly the same , inside and out !
BobbyValore

Post by BobbyValore »

Sounds interesting to find out more about the company. I missed the South Bucks years but after reading some of the reactions here I am curious to find out more.

@MAidinrubber: Have you had any previous writings about rainwear before that we can read?