Is it 'gay' for a man to wear shiny rainwear in public?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

Is it 'gay' for a man to wear shiny rainwear in public?

Post by Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast »

Just your opinion:

Is it 'gay' for a man who identifies himself as heterosexual, to wear shiny or glass clear rainwear in public when the weather is appropriate?

Some women's and all unisex raincoats appeal to me more than men's; I like their glossiness/shininess, smoothness and bold colours. Conversely, vinyl/PVC raincoats designed for men tend to be in drab colours (shades of grey, for example ) and are, more often than not, matt (non-shiny). I don't own a single matt/non-glossy PVC raincoat- I don't like them.

Don't get me wrong- I don't wear any raincoat that is distinctly feminine in either design or colour out in public (shiny pink, for example, is a definite 'no-no'- no matter how hard it's raining!), but the shiny and glass clear raincoats I do wear out in public (when it is raining, of course) are unisex (e.g. PUL's full length 'fashion mac' or women's (PUL's 1980's-style jelly coat; I vividly remember these jelly coats/jackets as a schoolboy growing up in the 80's).

Like I say, I simply enjoy wearing my PVC rainwear out when it is raining; to top it off I often include those clear PVC bubble umbrellas (which are themselves marketed as women's style umbrellas). It is just that, as a heterosexual male, I don't want to be thought of by other members of the public as a 'puff' or 'crossdresser', which I am most certainly not (no offence meant to those who are gay or who like to crossdress).
Jenni

Re: Is it 'gay' for a man to wear shiny rainwear in public?

Post by Jenni »

It' certainly not "gay " to wear shiny rainwear in public at any time but particularly when the weather calls for protection. Just enjoy wearing your raincoats and don't worry about it.
delboy

Post by delboy »

I agree with Jenny. It is not 'gay' to wear shiny rainwear in public. I have worn black shiny PVC trenchcoats out and about for at least 40 years with no negative comments.

An alternative to a dome umbrella is a clear golf umbrella which I have now used for some years.

Delboy
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

delboy wrote:I agree with Jenny. It is not 'gay' to wear shiny rainwear in public. I have worn black shiny PVC trenchcoats out and about for at least 40 years with no negative comments.

An alternative to a dome umbrella is a clear golf umbrella which I have now used for some years.

Delboy
What about these glass clear raincoats and these 'jelly jackets' (see photo below of one such example). Does any male rainwear enthusiast apart from myself like to wear glass clear-type PVC rainwear out in inclement weather? I just love the texture and visual qualities of the material, not just for fetish appeal, but also because I have a mild form of autism- Aspergers- which means that I am more stimulated by various sensory inputs (sights, smell, touch and sound) than 'neurotypicals'. There is a Flickr user named Alin who has an autism spectrum condition (probably more severe than my Asperger's, mind you) who enjoys raincoats himself (for sensory stimulation (aka 'stimming' purposes); I can quite relate to this.

dave62

Post by dave62 »

No, it is not gay. As a hetro man, I prefer women in raincoats, and for the last 10+ years, one in particular. But I myself wear a see through jacket, even if it threatens to rain. And I get a lot of comments on it, all from women. Last year, I got two coats from Fun Plastic, that don't have hoods, and have sizes that fit me. (The FunPlastic CP171 series). A 2xl fits me well. I used to get the TMC material, but last year I got two in HTW, which is high gloss, shiny white. Very soft and very nice. Quite a bit different look that any guy in a clear see through raincoat might wear. One day I wore it. I essentially had to take it off, as any place I stopped, I had too many women asking about it. (I really should make a deal with FunPlastic and PUL for leads!). Seriously. In one stop, I had four different women come up and either did, or asked to touch it. I scribbled funplastic.com on at least 5 napkins!

So go ahead, and go for it. I will admit, that if I wore a pink raincoat, people might think I am "weird", and I don't call that gay. It would not bother me if people thought I was gay. I have two very close gay friends, and they tire of the 30 year old trim n fit stereotype.

Go for it...
Macklovin

Post by Macklovin »

No, It really is not, gay to wear shiny PVC mac in public. Think of it as being unique and original as well as practical.
I wear mine almost every day, except for hot summer days.
I'm wearing one today out in London and feeling very good about it.
People admire your confidence and boldness and many really enjoy seeing someone walking towards them in a beautiful shiny plastic mac.
Plus, you get lots of really nice comments, especially from women and even a few men. So often, they like to stop and chat with you, some times even asking to touch the shiny PVC.
Be brave and don't be afraid to stand out.
Just enjoy your shiny PVC raincoats as often as you want out in public. It's such an wonderful thrill !
rainfash

Post by rainfash »

well, to be honest, most people will think you are a TV or cross-dresser, if you wear female shiny raincoats in public as a male.
anyway, I like to wear glass clear shiny pvc see through raincoats in public, in colours like red, green or blue or brown.
I would not wear one in pink or fuchsia colour.
but i fully agree to what all our folks and friends in the forum are saying.
who cares....I dont mind.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

Being straight or gay has NOTHING to do with what you wear and I agree the term puff is insulting and has no place on this or any forum
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

ray@rainwearcafe wrote:Being straight or gay has NOTHING to do with what you wear and I agree the term puff is insulting and has no place on this or any forum
My reference to the term 'puff' is not intended to insult; I am simply stating what some people (and yes, there are plenty of those out there) might be thinking in their minds if they saw a man wearing a shiny or glass clear PVC raincoat, complete with clear PVC brolli, which are generally thought of as women's apparel.
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

rainfash wrote:well, to be honest, most people will think you are a TV or cross-dresser, if you wear female shiny raincoats in public as a male.
anyway, I like to wear glass clear shiny pvc see through raincoats in public, in colours like red, green or blue or brown.
I would not wear one in pink or fuchsia colour.
but i fully agree to what all our folks and friends in the forum are saying.
who cares....I dont mind.
Obviously, I would never embarrass myself by wearing in public anything in pink or any other feminine colour. I'm certainly not TV or a cross-dresser (if any man enjoys dressing up in high heels, suspenders, etc in the privacy of his home, then that's his own business!); I am a straight man with a PVC fetish that extends to rainwear. Like you, I wear some of my PVC rainwear out in the rain (and so does my GF); I enjoy being 'protected' from the rain by my favourite material- PVC. For me, PVC rainwear has a fetish appeal, but there is also a practical element to it, too.