TV programmes set in the 1950/60's

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
WealdenMac

TV programmes set in the 1950/60's

Post by WealdenMac »

I know it's been said before but how disappointing is it to watch series like Endeavour, Call the Midwife (which can barely rustle up a rubber sheet), Father Brown etc. that are set in the 1950's and 1960's and almost never see a transparent plastic or pvc mackintosh. I'm not saying that there were wall to wall sightings back in the day but there were certainly more than enough on a daily basis to warrant at least some appearances. But the problem is not new. I don't recall seeing very many in programmes transmitted at the time. I was, for example blown away at the prevalence of shiny black macs on my first visit to Paris in the early '60's but can only remember one sighting in "Maigret". I'm not sure they cropped up particularly frequently in programmes set in the UK either. Have television producers/wardrobe departments traditionally had a "downer" on the ojects of our affection?
regenhoedje

Re: TV programmes set in the 1950/60's

Post by regenhoedje »

Vidcaps of a video that was taken in the 1960's.

merv

Post by merv »

I would suggest that the plastic raincoats were used when it rained in the Uk, something that did happen often.

I would also suggest that most tv programmes are set on dry days outside., with the exception of something like Hi-de-hi where the wet weather was the actual subject of the episode.

Programme makers generally like to gve the impression of happy sunny days rather than miserable people in the rain so no there were never that many plastic macs on display.

Any thoughts anybody?
bjhaus

Post by bjhaus »

They also tend to prefer not to get their extremely expensive camera equipment wet.
regenhoedje

Post by regenhoedje »

bjhaus wrote:They also tend to prefer not to get their extremely expensive camera equipment wet.
Yeah right :lol:

bjhaus

Post by bjhaus »

You too can join the Plastic Rainwear Club, IF you are happy to stroke the Grand Poo Bah's ego to his satisfaction. My tip would be to pass....
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

regenhoedje wrote:
bjhaus wrote:They also tend to prefer not to get their extremely expensive camera equipment wet.
Yeah right :lol:

I know that feeling lol lol
slicker-lover

Post by slicker-lover »

the 50s and 60s are too early, as the slicker did not become popular until the mid-70s. when they start making more series set in the 70s there will be more
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

Not too sure that the '70s was the time for slickers. I do remember a time when I lived in the UK that my, then, wife had a PVC raincoat before our son arrived on the planet in 1966.
slicker-lover

Post by slicker-lover »

in the USA it was 1975. I was in university and slickers really became popular quickly. the year before that I was shocked that so many girls got wet. even girls who wore raincoats during high school got wet their first year in college (1974) but they had slickers by 75/76.

another problem might be most tv series were set in California then, and rain was seldom part of the story line