Rainwear Review

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
Signalache

Rainwear Review

Post by Signalache »

Oh! for the days of a 1950s mackintosh--of which, it seems, few photographs survive. I wonder--does anyone know where I can see a particular picture that I came across once in an issue of Rainwear Review ? I used it as inspiration for one of my paintings. I think it is a centre spread--of a woman in a hooded mackintosh from about that period (I guess). It's not a full-figure shot and is taken in a street in Streatham (the street name is shown in the picture). It is a B&W pic. Does anyone recall it or know where I can find it?
gerrymacman

Re: Rainwear Review

Post by gerrymacman »

hello Rainwear Review was published in the early 1970s by Mr and Mrs warne in Bedford. her name was Trudi. the magazine stopped soon after he passed away.
i have a complete set of the publication
Gerry
gerrymacman

Post by gerrymacman »

hello Rainwear Review was published in the early 1970s by Mr and Mrs warne in Bedford. her name was Trudi. the magazine stopped soon after he passed away.
i have a complete set of the publication
Gerry
Rubbersocks1999

Post by Rubbersocks1999 »

Here is a link to a Mackintosh Society magazine.
http://217.199.187.67/rubberrainwear.co ... 1999-F.pdf
I tend to think that the past publications will just disappear as us oldies die off and our collection get binned.
This will be true of all the publication done in the Sixties and Seventies.
rubberdee

Post by rubberdee »

Rainwear Review, now that takes me back. I had just started collecting the magazine when it ceased publication, much to my, and I should think many more, dismay.
I also remember the ID or Impermeable Delectable privately published by Weather Vain's then owner. They were some wonderful monochrome photographs in that publication. All hand printed on photographic paper, as was the original text.
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

Something is wrong as, when I clicked to open the link posted by Rubbersocks1999, all I got was a dark grey screen.

Can someone help please?
Rubbersocks1999

I know that the site is not a secure one. Maybe your anti virus software is protecting you. Also the file is a PDF file, so if you get to the site you can download it to your computer.
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

I bought a few Rainwear Reviews and Impermeable Delectables when I started out all those years ago, having graduated from the old South Bucks catalogues that were advertised in the weekend papers. My favourites, however, were the unfortunately short-lived Gayetime Mackintoshes magazines. I was pleased to meet Mr and Mrs Brumhead later and he reckoned that it was the long postal strike in 1971 (I think) that effectively did for both the magazine and their business as a whole. But they were lovely, natural pictures of real people wearing real mackintoshes.
rubberdee

Post by rubberdee »

Gayetime Mackintoshes, now that's a new one on me, although if it was around in the early '70's I can't think why it passed me by.
Rubbersocks1999

I also remember the photo sets that Weathervain did in the '70's. I did have some , but moving around so much in my younger days, they just disappeared. You still see some of them on Pinterest or Flickr.