buying raincoats off ebay auctions

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

Re: buying raincoats off ebay auctions

Post by rainwearseeker »

Ray wrote: March 27th, 2018, 8:23 pm
rainwearseeker wrote: March 27th, 2018, 6:37 pm what makes them dishonest sellers? the raincoat I got seems to be fine and it was reasonably priced. i got a green one from fionette as a buy it now price for over 200 USD and i was kind of disappointed that it was not the rubbery pvc i was expecting. I still kept it because I like the design.
Excellent your experience of them is very good and so you should continue to buy from them if you so wish, it seems other people's experience hasn't been as positive as yours and probably wont use them again

Can you PM me your eBay user name so I can block you from bidding on any items I list as I cant see it being a positive experience
I am pretty sure that is a breach of privacy. what would blocking me solve?
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

rainwearseeker wrote: March 28th, 2018, 10:26 am
Ray wrote: March 27th, 2018, 8:23 pm
rainwearseeker wrote: March 27th, 2018, 6:37 pm what makes them dishonest sellers? the raincoat I got seems to be fine and it was reasonably priced. i got a green one from fionette as a buy it now price for over 200 USD and i was kind of disappointed that it was not the rubbery pvc i was expecting. I still kept it because I like the design.
Excellent your experience of them is very good and so you should continue to buy from them if you so wish, it seems other people's experience hasn't been as positive as yours and probably wont use them again

Can you PM me your eBay user name so I can block you from bidding on any items I list as I cant see it being a positive experience
I am pretty sure that is a breach of privacy. what would blocking me solve?
Blocking you would stop you bidding on any of my items and probably save us both a lot of grief in the long run :)
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

Well I am not going to tell you because I am looking to get vintage raincoats myself.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

rainwearseeker wrote: March 28th, 2018, 10:41 am Well I am not going to tell you because I am looking to get vintage raincoats myself.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
olympic

Post by olympic »

some of the sellers on e-bay are buying right from the factory such as rkd rubber...........you can buy right from rkd rubber w/o going through e-bay.
and get a better selection.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

well these are discontinued raincoats i am going after on ebay. i still have yet to get a rukka even though i have a bormax. unfortunately, the hood is too small when completely zipped.
KlepperGuy

Post by KlepperGuy »

I have given up bidding now for certain macks, because the price will go sky high or the seller wants to bigger price in the first place,

A friend who works in the film and TV industry has told me that often vintage items are brought by film costume buyers if they are looking for items that can be used in a film or tv series. There budget for buying can certainly outstrip what the average person can pay.

Old navy oilskin macks (WW2) are one item that film costume people are always on the lookout for. You only have to look at the film 'Dunkirk' to see where they are used and there are plenty of similar films coming up. Plus the mack can be used over and over again in productions.

If you are a seller of rainwear, think what a mack is worth to you and hopefully you will get that price.......anymore is a bonus.........and DON'T 'RIP' PEOPLE (fellow mack lovers) OFF.

I have sold things and been pleasantly surprised at what I got for the item.

But then I have bought some absolute rubbish........and most of the time it is not worth making a fuss.

Don't go by photos either........the camera does LIE !!!!

One coat I purchased had photos showing the internal seam tapes coming off.......... THINKS !!!! ok should be able to sort that. What the photos did not show was the amount of perishing to the rubber there was around the seams.

I think some sellers wear 'blinkers' when selling or they take the risk the buyer will not complain as the item tends to be linked to a fetish.

Personally I sell nothing unless that I would be happy to receive, if I was buying it.

What is the old saying..............BUYER BEWARE.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

there is also the fact that i am informed a raincoat is a soft rubberlike pvc only to find it is a more crinkly plastic. what i hate is when buyers will place a bid when they have no chance of winning and only appear to jack up the price. that is why i rather buy a rare vintage raincoat for a somewhat high but fixed price than bid. also because i am from north america, oversees shipping raises the price a lot more. the worst is when the seller has the raincoat you are looking for and it turns out they do not ship to america. when i bought that slippery when wet, i did not realize how thin the material was and it did not seem like it should have been worth that much. both the seller and the competing buyers are to blame. i once saw the same seller have a yellow slippery when wet raincoat sell for 340USD 2 months before i got mine. also what i find absurd is seeing PUL raincoats sold for ridiculous prices from bidders when the site sells them for much less.
veradk

Post by veradk »

Sadly the penalties of buying from E Bay, I know of the people who have been mentioned. They are fairly expensive, however its the old story, having been a lifelong crossdresser, Transformation were just the same. At least these days with the advent of the auction sites there are quite a few people out there who do offer some good deals.
merv

Post by merv »

a classic case here of a buyer ripping off the stupid
the ghastly rainkote woman https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PVC-vinyl-se ... 6016.l4276
the same item from army surplus https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Germ ... 1438.l2649
quite a saving for the same item