Black PVC and Oilskins

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
KlepperGuy

Black PVC and Oilskins

Post by KlepperGuy »

I grew up loving black heavy duty PVC or Oilskins as they were often referred to. They excited me in my teens and throughout my life and still do to this day.
The old ones, often used by the navy had the distintive MoD stamp inside and a year date, so many of mine go back to the 1950/60's.
The smell has to be one of the most endearing smells there can be.....especially to a lover of this material.

20 plus years ago I corresponded with guys of my age who appreciated the pleasures of PVC and oliskins, their feel, the smell and the bulkiness when they were worn. They could enclose and surround you as you breathed in the heady smell, as it filled your lungs and mouth as you tasted it.

For years I have hung two black navy oilskin macks on my coat stand. I can see them, feel them and smell and taste them everyday. Often before retirement, prior to leaving for work, I would smell and lick the surface, then go to work, the smell and taste would linger as I rode on the bus, but as it faded, I knew it would be there on my return to enjoy again.

In the Gay Stories section I have posted a story about the pleasures of PVC and Oilskins, it was written by a friend, Jim S. Hopefully he is still around out there........if not, then I am sure he would appreciate me sharing the story, so other 'Oilskin lovers' can enjoy it.

It is called 'PVC in Fantasy and Reality'.

Enjoy

Klepperguy
Rubadubdub

Re: Black PVC and Oilskins

Post by Rubadubdub »

I also like the look, the feel and the smell of the oilskin type materials. Although being a great rubber fan, I love any material that is a little thicker than the norm. Thick shiny vinyl works for me. Occasionally the fashion industry satisfies my needs, Asos, over the the last few years has given us both short and long length shiny, thicker vinyl coats. I fortunately have acquired a few and bloody lovely they are!!! Im hoping and waiting for the next fashion vinyl or rubber moment.
PetreVanClause

Post by PetreVanClause »

Yes. Me to. Love it all.
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

At university in the 1960's, where it was wall to wall PVC, I went out with a girl in the archaeology department who owned, for practical reasons, an 3/4 length black oilskin jacket. As it was often pretty wet in Devon she used to wear it as a casual jacket over her thick jumper. It looked good on her and certainly gave off that distinctive oilskin odour when up close and personal.
TStorm56

Post by TStorm56 »

Great to hear your experiences and fondness of oilskins. I’ve been very fortunate to be able to snag a retro Yarmouth oilskin coat and sou’wester off of eBay. The slightest bit of movement causes an orchestra of creaking and squeaking. I would love to own a yellow one someday but I’m at the mercy of what appears on auction sites. I’ve always wondered what the experience was like walking into a sailing store in the 50s, 60s, or 70s and seeing racks of glossy oilskins hanging from them.

WealdenMac wrote: February 27th, 2024, 12:32 pm At university in the 1960's, where it was wall to wall PVC, I went out with a girl in the archaeology department who owned, for practical reasons, an 3/4 length black oilskin jacket. As it was often pretty wet in Devon she used to wear it as a casual jacket over her thick jumper. It looked good on her and certainly gave off that distinctive oilskin odour when up close and personal.
You are a very lucky man!
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

TStorm56 wrote: February 27th, 2024, 5:11 pm Great to hear your experiences and fondness of oilskins. I’ve been very fortunate to be able to snag a retro Yarmouth oilskin coat and sou’wester off of eBay. The slightest bit of movement causes an orchestra of creaking and squeaking. I would love to own a yellow one someday but I’m at the mercy of what appears on auction sites. I’ve always wondered what the experience was like walking into a sailing store in the 50s, 60s, or 70s and seeing racks of glossy oilskins hanging from them.

WealdenMac wrote: February 27th, 2024, 12:32 pm At university in the 1960's, where it was wall to wall PVC, I went out with a girl in the archaeology department who owned, for practical reasons, an 3/4 length black oilskin jacket. As it was often pretty wet in Devon she used to wear it as a casual jacket over her thick jumper. It looked good on her and certainly gave off that distinctive oilskin odour when up close and personal.
You are a very lucky man!
Up to a point, Lord Copper. After university we went our separate ways. She married an older eccentric university lecturer, subsequently came out as a lesbian, divorced him and emigrated "down under". But it was fun while it lasted.
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

Never really been into oilskins but did have a liking for a friends mums oilskin table cloth when i was a kid.

I remember an army surplus store in Shirley Southampton which had racks and racks of navy surplus shiny black oil skins, german army ponchos, original regatta stormbreaks, it did smell wonderful ! I bought a regatta cagoule from them and before leaving Uni a ex raf dry suit for kayaking in in winter. Neber got to courage to try on one of the oilskins though. Shops now long gone.
Lets get swishy!
Oilskingimp

Post by Oilskingimp »

MMMMmmmm love black oilskin gear....was turned on seeing guys in oilskins from being at school.
Bought my first black oilskin jacket when was a student(still have it all these years later). Since then have built up a sizeable collection of black oilskin gear - leggings(the sort firemen used to wear/overtrousers/jackets/coats/anoraks/hoods/one piece suits.
Love being in full black oilskins(even better if tied up in them).....sometimes sleep in them.
Would love to meet another guy into full black oilskins for mutual fun in gear.
shinymacs

Post by shinymacs »

Rubadubdub wrote: February 26th, 2024, 11:39 pm I also like the look, the feel and the smell of the oilskin type materials. Although being a great rubber fan, I love any material that is a little thicker than the norm. Thick shiny vinyl works for me. Occasionally the fashion industry satisfies my needs, Asos, over the the last few years has given us both short and long length shiny, thicker vinyl coats. I fortunately have acquired a few and bloody lovely they are!!! Im hoping and waiting for the next fashion vinyl or rubber moment.
I totally agree...the thicker shiny vinyl and older oilskin coats are superb...I have several in my wardrobe as well !!
Blackvinyl

Post by Blackvinyl »

Hi. I am a great fan of the slightly thicker pvc or vinyl. I like the way it feels. Recently the manufacturers have got it right, being much softer, smoother, shinier. I have never really come across oilskin, but it 'sounds' intriguing! I imagine, quite thick, slippery and shiny. It would be nice to see these materials back in high street fashion again. Fingers crossed.