Retro/vintage nylon raincoat

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Leicslad24

Retro/vintage nylon raincoat

Post by Leicslad24 »

Morning All,

When I was younger, I have broad memories of a raincoat that I "forced to wear". It was nylon with taped seams, can't remember the colours exactly but my mind is saying green and pink?

I have no idea where it was from, all I can remember is a picture or logo on the jacket, it was black and white Mountain scene. Does anyone have a idea what I'm going on about?

Thanks

T
annabell-cagoule

Re: Retro/vintage nylon raincoat

Post by annabell-cagoule »

Was it a pvc coated nylon? Regatta had a green and pink one back then. I am sure they had a mountain scene on the label in the collar.
Or could have been a similar brand and cagoule type as regatta used to make some for other brands i am sure.
Lets get swishy!
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

What you mentioned about a mountain scene has jogged my memory, I think it might be a brand from the late 1980's called" Walkabout" or something like that.
maidjenny

Post by maidjenny »

You say forced to wear , i was also fastened into a rustly nylon mac by my mum in the 60s. Also a plastic pac a mac, she always fastened them to the neck no matter how much i begged not to as it was not always raining. Yes 60 years on i still love them.
Rives

Post by Rives »

maidjenny wrote: March 14th, 2024, 5:59 am You say forced to wear , i was also fastened into a rustly nylon mac by my mum in the 60s. Also a plastic pac a mac, she always fastened them to the neck no matter how much i begged not to as it was not always raining. Yes 60 years on i still love them.
Very much the same for me until mid 1980s. A navy blue nylon pakamac, always buttoned to the neck when worn, and slapped legs if I tried to resist
maidjenny

Post by maidjenny »

Lol i think we must be brothers as mine did the same. She once saw me in the street with my mac over my arm, that was my last time i did that, i was spanked and made to stand in the corner wearing my mac with hands on my head, for 30 mins.
Rives

Post by Rives »

maidjenny wrote: March 17th, 2024, 3:47 pm Lol i think we must be brothers as mine did the same. She once saw me in the street with my mac over my arm, that was my last time i did that, i was spanked and made to stand in the corner wearing my mac with hands on my head, for 30 mins.
Yes, the pakamac became a battleground for which there was only ever one winner
maidjenny

Post by maidjenny »

I still like to wear mine but do tend to get some strange looks when outside.
Rives

Post by Rives »

maidjenny wrote: March 18th, 2024, 5:27 am I still like to wear mine but do tend to get some strange looks when outside.
Are we talking about the traditional nylon pakamac, with buttons?
plasticpacamac

Post by plasticpacamac »

I'm of an age that it was plastic pacamacs (or Pakamacs,I'm relaxed about the spelling!), rather than nylon ones I wore as a teenager and during most of my 20s. However when I rmuch later retired in my early 60s some 20 years ago, concerned as to whether my pension would stretch, I took to charity-shop dressing and my purchases included 4 vintage nylon pacamacs each costing me £2, of which I still have two. All had 4 large plastic buttons that I always wore fastened to the throat. One was just labeled with that magic word "Pakamac". Friends who knew me before retirement would offer sympathy that I was reduced to wearing such dismal dated clothes but I couldn't have been happier!