No more PVC in public?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
plastefan

No more PVC in public?

Post by plastefan »

For several years I have observed that PVC-coated materials as rain protection are increasingly disappearing from public spaces. The newer polyurethane, on the other hand, seems to be used everywhere. The yellow “Friesennerze” in particular are experiencing a renaissance. And all transparent capes or coats are now being replaced by PEVA.
I personally find PU interesting as a coating because it is softer than PVC and looks almost like rubber. Unfortunately, a specific stimulating scent is missing...
PEVA, on the other hand, reminds me of thicker cover film and personally seems too “cheap” to me.
What experiences do you have with these newer materials?
shinyphile

Re: No more PVC in public?

Post by shinyphile »

I concur that polyurethane rainwear, while mostly matte and not shiny is VERY soft and rubber-like. If I can’t have PVC, polyurethane is nice.
marcus_germany

Post by marcus_germany »

I think PVC disappears because of the PFAS Bann in the EU starting 2025:

Rainwear changes to PU and EVA and high gloss tableclothes change to Polyester.

Clear Umbrellas changed from PVC to EVA 10 years ago.
PVC is sexy.
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Yes, polyurethane can also be nice. I have got some PU stuff, even some shiny PU macs and I like them very much. I also like PU leather, even over genuine leather for biker jackets, leather pants etc. For me polyurethane is a good substitute for PVC.
rubgum

Post by rubgum »

Taurus wrote: April 13th, 2024, 7:06 am Yes, polyurethane can also be nice. I have got some PU stuff, even some shiny PU macs and I like them very much. I also like PU leather, even over genuine leather for biker jackets, leather pants etc. For me polyurethane is a good substitute for PVC.
Have you got an example for some shiny PU macs ? :?
plastefan

Post by plastefan »

There are many glossy raincoats to find. Here´s an example:
https://walkthestorm.co.uk/shop/brand/i ... -raincoat/
But you can find some cheaper stuff in other local fashion-shops.
PU is not longer only to get in matte (like rubberized or leather-imitation).
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

Yes, what is called shiny vinyl or PVC is mostly made from PU coated fabric for ages. Even most of the shiny ladies raincoats from the seventies and eighties were made from PU coated fabric. Earlier ones with cotton as carrier fabric and newer ones with polyester as carrier fabric. I know because I used to study those fashion catalogs ad Infinitum. ;) there are of course exceptions to this. Shiny Rukkas were made from PVC coated cotton and some newer shiny trucker jackets that I own are still made from PU coated cotton.... And we have several PVC bodysuits some of which are made from PU coated cotton and some from PU coated polyester. And then there is a cute shiny vest dress made from PVC coated polyester to make things more complicated.
Maybe I will add the fabric composition in the text descriptions of my videos.
rubberraving

Post by rubberraving »

Whilst the days of ‘pure’ PVC are gone, I was pleased to see a lady dressed to shake away the Monday morning blues.

She had paired a pair of shiny black jeans with a black trench coat, both PU I think, but she still looked wonderful!

Reaffirmed my belief that there are plenty of people who enjoy wearing quasi-PVC outfits and dressing for their and our pleasure!
plastefan

Post by plastefan »

There are many PU-coated things in the street: Coats, jeans, skinny leggings...all looks like faked leather or rubberized.
The PVC of the 60/70s was to thick and not stretchy anough to give this illusion.
Btw.: Audrey Hepburn has commented her shiny PVC-suit in "To for the road"as the most uncomfortable costume she ever whore in movie!