Dinghy sailing when you were young

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
GummiTarzan

Dinghy sailing when you were young

Post by GummiTarzan »

Is there anyone more like me that was attracted to rainwear and wellies as child and went to sailing school?
I was sailing Optimist when I was young and wore quite heavy yellow bibpants and jacket from Helly Hansen. The first year of sailing my lifejacket was a Helly Hansen Navigare.

We were always wearing our "rubber gear" even when the sun was shining and nearly every day we played and bathed with our clothes on.
Gordo

Re: Dinghy sailing when you were young

Post by Gordo »

You must have had some wonderful sailing adventures!

I really love the Scandinavian attitude towards rainwear. They seem to wear rainwear more often then in North America and Britain.
GummiTarzan

Post by GummiTarzan »

Yes it was wonderful summers with rainwear on nearly every day.

Here in Sweden many people wear rainwear but switched to breathables. In Denmark I belive that I see more traditional style rainwear.
delboy

Post by delboy »

I started dinghy sailing in1956 and at that time all waterproof sailing wear was made of PVC and I have continue to wear PVC today . I have now retired from sailing and continue to wear PVC raincoats as does my wife.

Today it is raining hard in the South of England and I will shortly be going out fully dressed in a coat and trousers with hat and gloves all in black PVC.

Delboy
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

When did PVC in sailing/dinghy waterproofs start to disappear?
GummiTarzan

Post by GummiTarzan »

Gordo wrote: June 18th, 2021, 11:50 pm When did PVC in sailing/dinghy waterproofs start to disappear?
I think it was about 1988... But then the clothes wasn't breathable. Bought my first breathable foul weather kit 2000, but my drysuit wasn't breathable. :)
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

Used to go fishing with friends, we all wore over the head orange pvc waterproofs with draw string closures on the neck. Even in summer!
Lets get swishy!
GummiTarzan

Post by GummiTarzan »

annabell-cagoule wrote: June 21st, 2021, 10:48 pm Used to go fishing with friends, we all wore over the head orange pvc waterproofs with draw string closures on the neck. Even in summer!
Sounds good!
Wearing wellies too?
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

Nope, normally trainers. Only wellies when very wet.
Lets get swishy!
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

Never actually sailed a dinghy, but I did a basic course in kayaking about four years ago and of course I had to wear one of my cagoules. Sadly never had the chance since to hire a canoe and go for a paddle.