Matalan macs

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
maidjenny

Matalan macs

Post by maidjenny »

Matalan are advertising plastic raincoats, i have not seen one in stores yet just on line. Lets hope they are as good as the 60s when C & A shops sold them.
junerose

Re: Matalan macs

Post by junerose »

Hi, Just seen the macs online they look good, but the sizes are not the best, size 10/12 or 18/20 thats it. Love the red and green colour, but think the 18/20 size might be a bit tight, would love to try first before buying. Or has anyone tried them for size to see how they fit.

June.
pvculike

Post by pvculike »

If its the raincoats i have seen they are made from EVA which is quite a stiff unforgiving material. If you like you coats to be made of PVC and be soft like the old C&A raincoats then you are going to be disappointed. The mainstream shops don't want to sell traditional PVC raincoats, the label "PVC" is a dirty word these days. Best go to PVC-U-like then!
staggy

Post by staggy »

pvculike wrote: May 20th, 2024, 5:38 pm If its the raincoats i have seen they are made from EVA which is quite a stiff unforgiving material. If you like you coats to be made of PVC and be soft like the old C&A raincoats then you are going to be disappointed. The mainstream shops don't want to sell traditional PVC raincoats, the label "PVC" is a dirty word these days. Best go to PVC-U-like then!
Absolutely!!! Best quality, best feel, best service!!!
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

It’s always exciting to see rainwear in the main stream outlets, and they look fun, but I do agree they look too stiff. Good as a fashion item, but not so much fun in private! Give me smooth and soft any day. 240 gsm plastic from PUL is my favourite, as it has a bit of rubberyness about it, but very few of their items are available in it, only some of the sauna suits that I know of.

Cherie x
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

Post by Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast »

I like the bright and cheery colours of these transparent raincoats, but I am disappointed by the fact that they are made from EVA and not PVC. I think that the similar-looking Target transparent raincoats that were sold years ago (around 2010) were made from actual PVC.

How could we encourage the fashion outlets to go back to PVC? PVC is a durable and long-life polymer, and clothing made from it look stylish and last a very long time. Unlike the wafer-thin polythene ponchos and raincoats made from EVA.

The bad rep PVC has these days is borne from the sensationalist media.

Thank goodness for dedicated rainwear and fetishwear outlets like PVC U Like!
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

Ooo quite like those
Lets get swishy!
vp39

Post by vp39 »

" I think that the similar-looking Target transparent raincoats that were sold years ago (around 2010) were made from actual PVC."

No, they weren't - at least those available in the US were polyurethane (pu).

I know because they were available online as well as in the stores, but could only be shipped to US destinations. I thought I could make a buck or two buying them and offering them on ebay. I ended up reselling eight or ten of them...oddly, some of them went to US addresses.
I remember them well because I ended up holding a couple of them over the winter to sell in the spring, and when the time came to sell them I found that plasticizer had exuded enough to form a sticky coating on the pu film, and I had to wash them in the washing machine to remove that. So those two pieces were sold as "new without tags" and didn't do so well. That experience made me glad that I hadn't kept one for myself. I didn't really care for the feel of the pu anyway; pvc's what I love to feel next to my skin.
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

Post by Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast »

vp39 wrote: May 27th, 2024, 2:32 pm " I think that the similar-looking Target transparent raincoats that were sold years ago (around 2010) were made from actual PVC."

No, they weren't - at least those available in the US were polyurethane (pu).

I know because they were available online as well as in the stores, but could only be shipped to US destinations. I thought I could make a buck or two buying them and offering them on ebay. I ended up reselling eight or ten of them...oddly, some of them went to US addresses.
I remember them well because I ended up holding a couple of them over the winter to sell in the spring, and when the time came to sell them I found that plasticizer had exuded enough to form a sticky coating on the pu film, and I had to wash them in the washing machine to remove that. So those two pieces were sold as "new without tags" and didn't do so well. That experience made me glad that I hadn't kept one for myself. I didn't really care for the feel of the pu anyway; pvc's what I love to feel next to my skin.
The transparent Target macs were PU? I stand corrected. I recall there being one or two youtube videos of some ladies trying them on. The Target coats made a nice rustling noise.

I bought a few of these Matalan macs for our upcoming outdoor music festival outings this summer (in England you can never be assured of sunny skies!). These macs are OK-ish (I mean, I like the bright colours), but the EVA plastic is inferior to PVC (polyvinyl chloride), and I shall be mentioning this when I leave a product review on the retail store's website. EVA feels nowhere near as soft as PVC, and if you examine the EVA material closely after the coat has been worn a few times, you'll see tiny, tiny 'microscratches' or crazing. Plasticized PVC, which is a far more durable, longer-lasting and softer polymer compared to EVA, does not suffer from these 'microscratches' or crazing at all.

We should encourage the retail stores to reinstate durable and stylish rainwear that's made to last: rainwear made from plasticized PVC. "If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it".......PVC is the perfect rainwear material.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Hi, I was in a Matalan store yesterday in North Lanarkshire. Was hoping to convince my wife to purchase a nice pvc clear mac, however I could not find any rainwear be it fabric or pvc. Disappointed to say the least…